RUM :: Office of Graduate Studies :: Expenses and Financial Aid
 Expenses and Financial Aid


Admission and Registration

Admission Fees

An application fee of US $ 25.00 is required to apply for graduate studies (or US $35.00 for a late application).  Payment can be made online by credit card or personally at the Finance Office on campus. In the second case, the applicant must present the Graduate Studies Office (Celis-111) with receipt of payment.

Tuition Fees

Tuition fees vary depending on the student’s origin.  U.S. citizens who are residents of Puerto Rico pay $137 per graduate credit, while international students pay $3,063.00 per semester.

U.S. citizens who do not reside in Puerto Rico pay $137 per graduate credit plus an additional fee that varies according to their state of origin. Applicable fees can be accessed through the following link. The University considers students Puerto Rican residents after completing their first year of studies.

In addition to tuition fees, all students must pay the following dues:

  • Technology fee - $25 per semester or summer session
  • Maintenance fee - $47 per semester
  • Laboratory fee - $33 per laboratory 
  • Medical insurance - approximately $946 per year for basic coverage
  • Graduation fee - $27 ($40.50 for late payment)

Other costs and quotas such as: late registration, transfers to other graduate programs, readmissions, etc., - should be verified from the Bursar's Office.

Cost of living

UPRM’s Office of the Dean of Academic Affairs has submitted the following estimate of expenditures for an academic year (10 months) for international students, applicable to students from August 2011 onwards.



Building fees




Technology fees


Student identification card


Medical insurance basic coverage











Books and materials


Total** $20,882

* This amount is subject to change.

** For the total, only the basic medical plan without pharmacy was included.

IMPORTANT: For costs related with the additional maintenance expenses of spouse and child(ren), please consult the campus Office of Equal Opportunity Employment and Immigration Affairs.


UPRM has a Department of Student Housing under the Deanship of Students. This Department offers information on student housing near UPRM and it can be reached by telephone (787-832-4040, ext. 2078, 3894 or 787-265-3894), email
( or through their web page:

Accommodation outside UPRM

The Office of the Dean of Student Affairs Department of Student Housing maintains a list of rooms, apartments and private homes available for rent.

Medical Services

Required Medical Exams

UPRM’s Board of Administrators certificate # 74-75-319 requires that every student admitted to study at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez undergo a complete physical exam, including laboratory tests, in order to complete registration.  These tests must be carried out within three months of the entrance date. Student admitted to UPRM will be informed of submission deadlines for each academic year when they receive their acceptance letters.

Although each applicant will receive detailed instructions upon admission, required medical documentation includes vaccinations against Measles, Rubella, Mumps, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio, Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis test results (or chest x-rays) and blood tests for Syphilis (serology).  The Health Services Department also requires students to submit a series of documents that were included in their admission package including an Authorization to Evaluate and Treat Physical and Mental Conditions, Student Medical Insurance Coverage Selection and Consent to Use or Disclose Health Information.  Graduate students will not be able to register for courses while any of these documents are outstanding.

Medical Insurance

The Health Services Department at UPRM offers primary health care, and first aid services free of charge, to all students. In order to ensure the health of all students, the University of Puerto Rico requires that all students enrolled in three or more credits be covered by medical insurance.

A student must produce proof of medical insurance coverage (photocopy of an up-to-date medical insurance card or official document from the company or insurance agency) if the student is covered by medical insurance elsewhere for the duration of the semester. The medical insurance card should display the expiration date; if not, then should produce a certification from the insurance company (example: clients of Reforma de Salud - Forma MA10). If this evidence is not presented or accepted, the student will be required to choose one of the student medical service plans offered by the University of Puerto Rico.

Further information on requirements and services offered by the Health Services Department at UPRM ( can be obtained by calling 1-787-832-4040, extensions 3408 and 3416. Documents related with health insurance:


Graduate Assistantships

The Graduate Studies Office processes graduate assistantships, which involve teaching roles, research or service positions, and a monthly stipend.  

Graduate stipends vary depending on contact hours required for the assigned task and the student’s completed degree. Currently, a complete assistantship paid from institutional funds is US$917.00, for students with a Bachelors degree, and US$1,057.00, for students with a Masters degree. Assistantship may also include tuition waivers (the equivalent of US$6,126.00 per academic year).  Monthly stipends paid from external funds may be higher than institutional funds; but may not be less for an equal workload. Special fees and medical plans may not be waived in any type of assistantship.

Types of Assistantships

The University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez offers three types of assistantships:

Processing Assistantships

To process an assistantship, the department must fill a form awarding a graduate assistantship (available online only to authorized administrative personnel). This form must be authorized by the Director of the student’s department, Dean of the Faculty (or Director of the Research and Development Center, if the assistantship is paid from external funds), and finally the Office of Graduate Studies. Applicants can check the status of their assistantship using the online assistantship status verification system found in the sturdent's account in "Mi Portal Colegial" :

Students may choose to have their assistantship stipend deposited directly to their bank account. To authorize direct deposits, the student must download, complete and submit the following form to the Graduate Studies Office:

Documents related to graduate assistantships:

Frequently asked questions regarding assistantships

  • Which regulations govern the assignment of assistantships? The assignment of assistantships is governed by
  • Certificate 05-62 of UPRM’s Academic Senate, titled Rules to Manage Graduate Student Assistantships at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez.
  • Am I considered a university employee if I receive an assistantship? No, assistantships are stipends awarded for a task that serves as training towards teaching or research. So taxes, social security, retirement or savings may not be deducted from the total assistantship amount.
  • Who can apply for financial aid? Any student who has been admitted (even conditionally) and does not have a full-time job or grant restricting eligibility may apply for financial aid.
  • For how long can I receive an assistantship? If you are a masters student you may receive an assistantship for two calendar years (four semesters) from institutional and external funds. In some cases, assistantships can be extended for up to two years, but only one year paid from institutional funds. If you are a doctoral student and began your studies with a Masters degree you may receive a graduate assistantship from institutional or external funds for three calendar years. In some cases the assistantship may be extended for two more years, but only one year can be covered with institutional funds. If you are a doctoral student and began your studies with a Bachelor’s degree, you may receive an assistantship for five years from institutional or external funds. In some cases the assistantship may be extended for three more years, but only one year can be covered with institutional funds
  • If I do not receive an assistantship over the summer, what type of financial aid can the university offer? You may receive a research assistantship, if your adviser has funding, or obtain a work study position within the university if opportunities arise. If a teaching assistantship is your only source of income you will have to save during the academic year to cover summer expenses.
  • Must I maintain a minimum grade point average to continue receiving an assistantship? Yes, you must maintain an overall 3.00 grade point average. If your average falls below this point you will be considered on probation and will not eligible to receive an assistantship. 

  • Is an assistantship guaranteed over the course of my studies if I maintain a high grade point average?  No, assistantships are not guaranteed. Assistantships also depend on a good work evaluation, the department’s need for assistants and the availability of funds.

  • What is the minimum academic load needed to receive an assistantship?  Over both semesters you must be enrolled in nine credits or in thesis or a project. Over the summer you can receive an assistantship without taking courses, if you were a regular student the previous semester. 

  • What is the maximum work load I can receive for an assistantship? The total maximum work load is nine credits, commonly referred to as “one and a half assistantship”. 

  • Can I receive a teaching assistantship and research assistantship? Yes, you can combine assistantships in any way, but the total sum cannot exceed nine credits. 

  • What type of work will I do as a teaching assistant? Duties may include exam preparation, supervision, and correction, tutoring, managing discussion sessions, auditing conferences and other related duties as assigned by the director of the department.   You will not be assigned all of these duties, but it is important to understand that other duties in addition to your teaching load may be assigned. 

  • Are there other financial benefits to an assistantship? Teaching and research assistantships paid from institutional funds include a waiver of tuition. Assistantships paid from external funds receive a tuition waiver if this was agreed when the university approved the proposal. 

  • If I do not receive an assistantship, is there other financial aid the university can offer?  You could be hired by your department or other university entity at an hourly wage (a work study position), which will not include a waiver of tuition. North American citizens and permanent residents can apply for a $2,000 annual grant (does not include waiver of tuition) from the Financial Aid Office of the Office of the Dean of Students. North American citizens can apply for student loans. Students may work up to 20 hours per week during classes and up to 37.5 hours per week during academic breaks. Students on an F1 visa may not accept work off campus. 

  • I am a foreign citizen and my admission letter states I will have an assistantship for one year. Am I guaranteed an assistantship for two years? If you do a good job during your first year and finish with a 3.00 grade point average it is most probable that you will receive an assistantship during your second semester. If you were awarded a teaching assistantship through a different department, you could lose it the second semester if the academic course load decreases and the department offering the courses gives their own students priority. 

  • Could an assistantship be cancelled halfway through a semester? This could occur if you lose eligibility or you are not performing well. Cancellations must be approved by the Director of Graduate Studies. 

  • Can I receive an assistantship if I have an external grant? Yes, but only if it is permitted by the sponsoring organization.

Grants, Work Study and Student Loans

The Financial Aid Department of the Office of the Dean of Students provides different types of financial aid including grants and student loans. Grants ,for which only U.S. Citizens are eligible, award up to $2,000 per year. Grants are awarded based on the student’s financial needs, their family income and the number of credits required to obtain their degree.  For more detailed information visit the Financial Aid Department Webpage in the following link:

The program Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP), a project financed by the National Science Foundation in an effort to increase the number of doctoral degrees awarded by the University of Puerto, also offers grants to doctoral students. Additional information, including applications forms, can be found through the following link:

Graduate students may take a work study position in departments or other establishments with funds that offer them employment. International students may work up to 20 hours per week during the semester and a maximum of 37.5 hours per week over the summer. Graduate students may receive a higher wage that the currently established minimum salary. Norms governing the selection of candidates for the work-study program are described in the document in the following link:

Competitive Grants

The following public and private organizations offer competitive grants to graduate students:

(The Graduate Studies Office would appreciate contributions to this list. Please send them to



Phone Number: 1-787-265-3809, Ext: 3598, 3442, 3809
Fax: 787- 265-5489
Office Hours
Monday to Friday from 7:45 AM to 11:45 AM and from 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM.
Office of Graduate Studies
University of Puerto Rico - Mayaguez Campus
CALL Box 9000 Mayagüez
PR 00681-9000